this verisign wildcard silliness

Marc Ramirez marc.ramirez at bluecirclesoft.com
Thu Sep 18 13:13:17 PDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 01:06 PM 9/18/2003, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> >It makes me wish I had money lying around to hire a lawyer just to
> >piss off Verisign.
>
> This situation is ripe for a class action.
>
> Maybe one of the big law firms that loves to do these, such as
> Milberg Weiss, would take it on.
>
> --Brett Glass

Before you do anything rash...

We first have to remember to "follow the money." (Thank you, Deep Throat)

Now, yes, VeriSign may have a lot to gain from this, but let's face it:
Internet ads don't work.  Now stay with me.

Internet ads don't make people buy things, they make people annoyed.

In this case, annoyed at what?  At their typing skills, obviously.

Now, very soon we'll have lots of annoyed internet users cursing their
stubby little jello fingers.  Who would stand to profit from this?

Maybe, just maybe, Mavis.

As in, Mavis Beacon.

As in, that's right! Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, a.k.a Broderbund
Software! Who else, indeed?

Notice that Broderbund has stayed mum on the issue of the wildcard record,
_unlike every one else on the internet_.

Also, note well their affiliation between Broderbund and the _notorious_
Bank Street College of Education at bnkst.edu -- the .edu tld seems to be
miraculously free of the wildcard nonsense.  And remember that the fruit
of their collaboration, Bank Street Writer, had _no spell check_.
Coincidence? You be the judge.

Could Broderbund be silently be staging a comeback?  Are they and VeriSign
forming an ogliopo, I mean, olligiopo, I mean, oligipiolo -- crap --
corporate Death Star?  I'm afraid that's all I can say on the subject for
now.  Remember people, follow the money!

Marc.

--
Marc Ramirez
Blue Circle Software Corporation