strip FreeBSD a bit

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Tue Sep 9 15:11:15 PDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 08:50:10AM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> Christer,
>
> I think its a bad idea to remove components from FreeBSD that
> everybody would expect in a BSD.

I think there has to be a clear reason if components where removed. This
still doesn't mean that it couldn't come installed by default. It just
meant useing the package / port system. Why sould we not use it?

> I think you touch areas here like tradition ...
>
> In Linux its another thing, they don't have such a tradition,
> since Linux is only a kernel and Linux never defined a Linux
> basde system. So there you can discuss of having sendmail,
> exim, postfix or qmail installed by default or not.

The way the kernel is related to the distribution is totaly irrelevant.
If you looking for traditions here they sould be in the various
distributions.

> IMHO I think its a good thing that a normal FreeBSD installation
> includes bind and sendmail. This makes FreeBSD a complete
> (standard/traditional) Unix after basic installation.

But this could still be reaced if it was a port.

> Things like perl had to go for other reasons in 5.x it was
> related to difficulties in the build process and RPITA concerning
> how the p5- ports fit into a scheme perl5 in base system + newer
> perl5 under /usr/local.

I think this basicaly comes down to being modulair. This is a good thing
in my opinion!

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: