Problems with ordinary user permissions

Andreas Kohn andreas.kohn at gmx.net
Mon Oct 20 02:35:51 PDT 2003

Hi,

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 16:06, carmoda wrote:
> ~sigh~
>
> seems like an awful lot of stuffing around for something that a
> user/developer should be able to access by default *in my opinion*. so
> far i have about 30% of functionality of my previous W2K system after
> several times the time required for setup. [as a workstation]
>
> FreeBSD may be 'free' and more stable, but after i add my time to a
> setup it is over twice the price of XP Pro.
How many Windows setups have you done? How many FreeBSD setups?

> Something HAS to be done on the install front. I did select 'developer +
> X-windows' in the sysinstall and i think it would make more sense if the
>   account security was more 'open' for the average user given they would
> be 'developing' on the platform. i mean, half of my apps didnt work due
> to permissions being short. again, i did select that i wanted a
> 'developer - x-windows' install.

please try to avoid the mistake of comparing XP and FreeBSD when your
background is Windows. You will always find that FreeBSD (and FWIW Unix
in general) is more difficult, and worse than Windows. The underlying
concept of both operating systems is completely different, and you end
up comparing apples and bananas.

Instead try to understand the heritage of Unix, and you will find that
most of the things you think of as "senseless" now have actually a
logical reason.

> peter lageotakes wrote:
> > Please check out the FreeBSD FAQ:
> >
> > 9.22. How do I let ordinary users mount floppies,
> > CDROMs and other removable media?
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#USER-FLOPPYMOUNT
> >
> > Pete
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I have been having a trouble getting various things
> >>to work on my new
> >>5.1 workstation with gnome 2.x.
> >>
> >>tonight i was attemtping to get 'gtoaster' [cd
> >>buring s/w] working as i
> >>couldnt see any drives, and when i tried adding them
> >>i encountered a few
> >>errors muttering about permissions. so i logged on a
> >>root and low and
> >>behold not only did i see all the CD drives, but i
> >>could also browse my
> >>Network, something i have not been able to do.
> >>
> >>what should  do?
> >>
> >>migrate to using 'root' for my everyday login, or
> >>somehow 'up' my
> >>ordinary account..?
> >>
> >>anyone have any suggestions on either idea and
> >>perhaps if i should
> >>migrate how i could go about this...?
> >>
> >>please 'CC' me directly on replys...

Regards,