Network stack presentation - community input needed

Giovanni P. Tirloni gpt at tirloni.org
Wed Oct 15 17:34:54 PDT 2003

Hi,

 I'm preparing a slide presentation about our network stack. It's
 targeted at the averate/intermediate network administrator that usually
 deals with NAT, filtering, bridging, IPSec, etc.

 I'd like input from the community, if possible, about what's a good way
 to present this beast. I've two ideas,

  1) Show the features and numbers

     - A bit of history
     - What is supported
     - Performance numbers
     - Where it can be used
     - Small overview of each feature

  2) How it's designed

     - No history
     - What are the big players (mbufs, interrupts, priorities, queues)
     - Where is possible to tweak it and how
     - The big picture
     - How packets travel (receive, send, forward, bridge, filter)
     - Where features (bridge, pfil/ipfw, netgraph) happen (above)

     I guess I would have to spend more time explaining mbufs,
     interrupts, priorities and other basic kernel components. Would
     that be excessive?

 If I choose the second path what are the most important things one
 should know when designing for performance and security? Anything to
 add to the list I made? I think I'm too focused on mbufs, interrupts
 and queues (ip input, socket buffers, iface output), anything else?

 I would like it to be a starting point for people interested in going
 deeper in the details. I should take about 45 minutes.

 Thanks in advance,

 --
 Giovanni P. Tirloni <gpt at tirloni.org>
 Fingerprint: 8C3F BEC5 79BD 3E9B EDB8  72F4 16E8 BA5E D031 5C26