General Wireless Network Question

Greg Pavelcak g.pavelcak at comcast.net
Sat Oct 11 14:22:10 PDT 2003

Well, I've done some online searching and got some helpful stuff
from FreeBSD mail archives, but I would just like to double check a
couple of things.

In the wireless world, I don't understand an access point. Right
now, we have Comcast cable internet, a 4 port router, and a few
computers all wired, and all with access to the internet. Am I right
in thinking that I can just replace the current router with a
wireless router, get some wireless network cards, and get the same
results? (I'm thinking D-Link because I read in FreeBSD mail
archives that they use supported chips.)

I plan to go with the "b" standard as opposed to "g". I read
somewhere that my cable service only gives me about 5Mbps anyway, so
I assume that the speed capabilities beyond that will only be
relevant between computers in my house, and I don't think that's
much of an issue. What we really want is to have access to the
internet from anywhere. Is there any reason to shell out extra money
for the "g" devices?

Any and all input on making the transition to wireless would be
greatly appreciated.

Again, I'm just talking about getting all of our computers access to
the 'net. I'm the only one running FreeBSD. Everyone else is on
Windows2000 or XP.

Thanks.

Greg