Ack! SYSTEMTYPE=WIN32

Stephen Hilton nospam at hiltonbsd.com
Wed Oct 1 07:50:20 PDT 2003

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 07:33:30 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Jason C. Wells wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Bill Moran wrote:
> >

> >>Are you serious?  ROT_13 isn't encryption, it's a Caption Amazing
> >>Decoder Ring.
> >
> > What's wrong with ROT_13?  Is there a sploit for it?
>
> I think it was born 'sploited.
>
> > I figure if the guys at MIT allow it, it must be just fine.  That Sam
> > Hartman is a sharp guy.  Why do you ask?
>
> Is this the same ROT_13 that Netscape mail used to use? ... that I
> (seriously) had a Spiderman decoder ring for when I was a kid?  Am
> I getting it confused with something else?

Bill,

I am just guessing about Jasons methods, but here goes.

The authentication _is_ secure for telnet using kerberos, then he
encrypts the telnet session with the decoder ring ROT_13 because
the data flowing through the connection is not that sensitive,
just the login credentials are felt by the OP to need a real level
of encryption.

My 2 cents,

Stephen Hilton
nospam at hiltonbsd.com