Bug in ports howto question

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Nov 26 06:41:25 PST 2003

Allan,

I'm not sure if your understanding of the term is wrong, or your understaning
of programming/sysadmin is wrong, but:

The definition you give of "mutually exclusive" is correct.  Your contention
that sysadmin and programming skillsets are mutually exclusive is completely
unsupportable.  They aren't even orthogonal.  There are many times a sysadmin
resorts to writing quick scripts (programs) in order to do his job, and a
programmer with no knowledge of sysadmin is going to write software that is
impossible to administer.

Even your example of skiing/driving is wrong.  These two _are_ orthogonal
(meaning they require seperate skillsets not dependent on each other) but
they are hardly even close to being mutually exclusive (which would mean that
you get to pick one to learn, because you can never then learn the other)
I can prove this in the real world because I know people who can both ski
and drive.

Fact is, I don't think it's possible for a skillset to be mutually exclusive
with any other skillset.

Philosophies could be.  A terrorist philosophy is multutally exclusive with
a pacafist philosophy because you can not believe in killing to achieve your
means at the same time you believe that violence is always wrong.

Does this make sense?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies