10th Anniversary Live Bootable CD

Dan Strick strick at covad.net
Tue Nov 25 14:39:57 PST 2003

Has anyone tried out the FreeBSD 10th Anniversary Live Bootable CD given
out last night at the FreeBSD 10th Anniversary party in San Francisco?
I was hoping it would make a convenient emergency fixit CD and be a good
FreeBSD advocacy tool.  I gave it a spin this morning.  It spit out
disconcerting warning and error messages while booting, required some
manual configuration during bootstrap, was missing a lot of programs
needed for system repairs (e.g. boot0cfg), required some fudging to
fsck a ufs file system and pasting into an xterm using the middle
mouse button didn't work.

Worse, the CD is too small to use as a coaster.

Has anyone had a better experience?

(Note: I don't intend this as a serious complaint.  After all, it was
a freebie.  However, I was somewhat disappointed.)

Dan Strick
strick at covad.com