SCO Lawsuits, round 2

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 14:30:47 PST 2003

At 13:33 19/11/2003 -0800, Chip McClure wrote:
>Anyone happen to have a look at Slashdot recently? Happen to wander across
>an article on the next round of lawsuits, targetting the BSD community.
>
>IMO, SCO's grabbing at straws, and they're sinking fast.
>
>http://www.newsforge.com/business/03/11/18/1742216.shtml?tid=2&tid=82&tid=85&tid=94

   Personally, I read this as "the SCO-is-evil crowd is grasping at straws".

McBride said:
>But more importantly, what we are announcing today is a substantial number
>of copyright issues that relate to a settlement agreement that is already
>in place around the BSD settlement from the 1994 time frame. As we move
>forward, we will be outlining those issues

   I don't know how people get from there to "SCO is about to sue BSD"; all
he's saying is that someone has stolen code which *isn't* BSD -- code which
the settlement agreed belonged to AT&T (err, Novell).
   The standard operating procedure of slashzealots seems to be "take a
perfectly reasonable comment, find the most bizarre misinterpretation
possible, and laugh at that misinterpretation".

Colin Percival