Good basic article on unicode, etc.

Gary W. Swearingen underway at comcast.net
Sun Nov 16 11:54:34 PST 2003

Doug Barton <DougB at FreeBSD.org> writes:

> For those (like me) who haven't had a lot of time to learn the fine
> points of unicode, here is a good introductory article on it:
>
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html

Which has a bonus picture of the Seattle skyline taken from an
atypical photo position North of "downtown". I suspect it was taken
from one of the seaplanes that buzzed my recent residence just West of
the University of Washington, before landing in Lake Union, which can
been seen (a little) at the bottom of the picture.  A suprising choice
from a guy who apparently lives in New York City.

Anyway, for more details on Unicode and the UTF-8 (which FreeBSD uses,
IIRC) see "UTF-8 and Unicode FAQ for Unix/Linux" by Markus Kuhn at
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html