The future of X?

Rahul Siddharthan rsidd at online.fr
Thu Nov 13 16:22:07 PST 2003

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 03:41:35PM -0500, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
>
> > But the freedesktop.org stuff isn't a replacement of X, just further
> > development of XFree86 in a new direction.  It certainly looks good,
> > and KeithP can deliver, he is the guy responsible for the antialiased
> > font support in XFree86 today.
>
> So we can expect future XFree86 enhancements to also be slow and
> blurry? :-)

Well, I don't know about slow, but I like those blurry drop-shadows :-)
http://freedesktop.org/~keithp/screenshots/screen3.png

Seriously -- anti-aliasing was blurry in its early days, but with recent
xft and 2.1.x versions of freetype it's as good as or better than on any
other OS.  Eg, the fonts in that screenshot (the insects and other
graphics are antialiased too, none of it looks blurry to me).  As for
speed -- in its early days there was a slowness in generating .xftcache,
but no longer.

Rahul