The future of X?

Timothy Beyer beyert at cs.ucr.edu
Wed Nov 12 10:48:31 PST 2003

> Isn't there another project trying to put together a replacement for X?
> I thought it was called "Berlin", but I can't find it anywhere on the net,
> so I can't be sure.

It is now called Fresco.  (Berlin is one component of Fresco I believe)  Looks very interesting, makes use of CORBA for communications, and uses an integrated C++ toolkit called Interviews.  Too bad they changed licenses from BSD to LGPL... :(

As for Keith's X Server, I don't think its a fork.  I think it fits into the existing model.  Also, from what I understand, Keith's work is slowly getting into XFree86.  (though I'm not sure if 4.4 includes any of that work)

Xouvert, as the page states, is an experimental/development "branch" (assuming Arch is everything they claim it to be) of XFree86, not a fork.  I don't know if it will go very far, though.  My bet is on Keith's work.

--Tim