ACAP Server for FreeBSD

Stuart Krivis stuart at krivis.com
Tue Nov 4 07:10:46 PST 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:41:48 -0700, Terry Lambert
<tlambert2 at mindspring.com> wrote:

>jcw at highperformance.net wrote:
>> A quick search of "ACAP" in the ports tree yields nothing.  Google show
>> some talk about CMU ACAP and UW ACAP circa 1998.  Does anyone here run ACAP
>> to go with their IMAP servers?
>>
>> (Oh yeah, on FreeBSD hosts of course.)
>
>Jeremy Allison (of SAMBA) and I ported the CMU ACAP to FreeBSD
>around 1998.  We didn't end up using it for anything (as far as
>I can tell, it's only real use at this point is configuring the
>Eudora Pro email clients).

It can also be used to configure the Mulberry MUA, plus Mulberry can
use the ACAP server to store user address books and such.

Cyrusoft seems to do a lot of business with educational institutions,
and ACAP would help a lot in that environment.

LDAP may be a better bet since it can be bent to provide much the same
functionality and there is far more development and support of LDAP
than ACAP or IMSP.