grammar

Matthew Hunt mph at astro.caltech.edu
Fri May 30 14:36:27 PDT 2003

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 07:20:26AM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:

> Recently I provided some IT staff with the documentation for a
> new piece of software. Many times it said things like "In case
> Foo, do Bar". The users (correctly in my view) read that as
> advice of a precaution worth taking, and took it.

Could this be a .us-vs-.au issue?  Here in the US, at least, it is
common for fire alarms to have instructions like "In case of fire, pull
handle."  And I interpreted your examples the way the author intended,
although I understand the ambiguity.  Certainly mothers here will tell
their kids to carry sweaters "in case it cools off."

--
Matthew Hunt <mph at astro.caltech.edu> * Inertia is a property
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           * of matter.