preferred email system

Gray, David W David.W.Gray at NielsenMedia.com
Fri May 30 10:34:38 PDT 2003

Everything is behind a firewall - the only access is via SSH, or SHTTP. (Oh,
and the
SSH port is only open to certain IP addresses, like my work, and PDA/Cell
connection.)
My ISP (RoadRunner) is kind of wierd regarding filtering. The only ports
that I *know*
they filter is the 6000-6031 range, inbound (no X servers - what, did
somebody tell
them they were for porn? Setting the server # to 32 at startup worked fine,
though.)

The mail pickup is via fetchmail. In the old days, I ran elm, and used POP3
for
outside connections, but I kept having difficulties with keeping the
different
mail systems sync'd. Now, its *one* method of access, one set of folders.
Period.
And it works pretty well for me, notwithstanding the little gotchas running
mutt. (And that many years with elm is why I run mutt to begin with, as
opposed
to an all graphical client.)