preferred email system

Larry Sica lomion at mac.com
Fri May 30 09:05:51 PDT 2003

On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 11:24  AM, Paul Robinson wrote:

> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 09:29:35AM -0400, Gray, David W wrote:
>
>> I use mutt in a similar setup. It's handling of IMAP is, well,
>> painful. It
>
> Don't use the IMAP. Configure an MTA and where you can have mail
> delivered
> direct. Where it needs to come off a remote mail server, grab a copy of
> fetchmail and make it do it's voodoo. Having an MTA on your local
> machine
> for just you is not just luxury - it's why you have Unix. :-)

You run into one possible problem here.  What if your ISP filters the
port incoming?  Then you cannot access it remotely.  Plus then you have
to make sure you keep on top of any possible holes/bugs/spammers.   I
don't like running services out of my house unless I need to, mostly
because I don't have the time.

--Larry