preferred email system

Gray, David W David.W.Gray at NielsenMedia.com
Fri May 30 08:29:50 PDT 2003

I do use fetchmail. I use IMAP so that I can unify my mailbox
across the different methods I use to access it (depending on
where I am, e.g., Mozilla, Squirrelmail via secure http, etc, etc.)

My biggest complaint is that mutt connects via IMAP, then wants to
move the e-mail in the inbox to the same place (inbox) it came from... (not
amusing if I hit Y at the wrong time.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Robinson [mailto:paul at iconoplex.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 11:24 AM
To: Gray, David W
Cc: 'freebsd-chat at freebsd.org'
Subject: Re: Re: preferred email system

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 09:29:35AM -0400, Gray, David W wrote:

> I use mutt in a similar setup. It's handling of IMAP is, well, painful. It

Don't use the IMAP. Configure an MTA and where you can have mail delivered
direct. Where it needs to come off a remote mail server, grab a copy of
fetchmail and make it do it's voodoo. Having an MTA on your local machine
for just you is not just luxury - it's why you have Unix. :-)

> really
> does not do folders well, at all. I use squirrelmail whenever I want to
move

I use folders all the time. If you configure properly it's really nice, you
just have to ] and ! around a bit. It's far quicker than tabbing and
arrowing...

--
Paul Robinson