a public relations opportunity for BSD

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Fri May 16 13:43:04 PDT 2003

At 1:27 PM -0400 5/16/03, Larry Sica wrote:
>On Friday, May 16, 2003, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>>The fact that "you" (the generic you) are starting to
>>advertise that *you* are innocent is most certainly a
>>direct result and thus an implied comment on the guilt of
>>Linux.  It's like saying "I won't comment on whether the
>>incumbent mayor stole the car he's driving, but just this
>>morning I happened to decide that I should wave around the
>>bill-of-sale for my own car and thus you should vote for me".
>>It is a campaign of marketing-through-FUD.
>>

>That is not a good analogy.  In this case there is obvious
>proof that FreeBSD does not suffer from this potential issue.
>Pointing this out could be just a matter of saying here this
>is the current climate.

IMO opinion it is a perfectly accurate analogy.  You never
spread FUD about *your* product, you spread it about the
*other* product.  In this case we would be spreading the
FUD that "Hey, linux might be guilty, and SCO might sue you
for running it!  And Look!  You won't get sued if you run
FreeBSD!".

That's my opinion.  At this point I think I've stated it
well enough.  I do not intend to debate it further.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu