a public relations opportunity for BSD

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Thu May 15 23:33:54 PDT 2003

Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> I agree completely.  For one, you can't "Not comment on whether
> the charges are true", and then turn around and try to advertise
> your product based on the very same charges.

This, at least, is incorrect, since FreeBSD is free from
taint, due to the USL/UCB lawsuit settlement of 1994.

Linux has no such settlement document.

If you can buy a copy of the SCO Linux product before it's
no longer available, do it: the legal theory that made them
withdraw the offer for sale of the product was that their
sale of it under the GPL granted royalty free license to
use their IP contained therein with no royalty, in perpetuity.

The same reason IBM refused to let us ship the InterJet II
with Squid on it, after they bought Whistle.

-- Terry