Senator Santorum

Narvi narvi at haldjas.folklore.ee
Fri May 9 16:49:38 PDT 2003

> > This would mean you first have to explain why bi- or polygamy are
> > or should be illegal. Its even trickier in the US, where 'unmarried
> > cohabitation' is still a crime in many states...
> >

> Well it comes down to, i think, legal and economic issues.  From a
> taxation issue i can see it, imagine a guy claiming 3 wives and 2 kids
> from each as exemptions.  Or dealing with the implications of the whole
> family breaking up from a legal, economic and social standpoint.  I for
> one would not want to be married to more than one woman, I don't think
> I would survive it ;).

Well, the correct question is 'what and how can the wives claim benefits
on'. But its a simple matter of amending the tax code. Where it gets
tricky is if any of the wives are intermarried or married to somebody else
and you get (possibly long) cycles.

> Also there was the fact that a woman could not have multiple husbands,
> so I guess it becomes an equality issue as well?

The 'woman could not have multiple husbands' is only true if that
situation gets handled separately under clauses banning ployandry, which I
don't think is the case.