OpenBSD contract suspended

Viktor Lazlo viktorlazlo at telus.net
Sun May 4 14:50:42 PDT 2003

On Sat, 3 May 2003, Chip Morton wrote:

> Had anybody else heard about this?  I know I'm usually way behind the curve
> on learning about this sort of stuff.
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/04/24/HNdarpaopen_1.html

The following has been on the openbsd website for a while now:

   DARPA suddenly and unexpectedly cancelled funding for OpenBSD R&D
   through the University of Pennsylvania's POSSE program and the hotel
   for the upcoming hackathon. Nevertheless the hackathon will happen as
   scheduled, and we will continue to operate based on donations from the
   user community and other sources who continue to support the project.

   "As a result of the DARPA review of the project, and due to world
   events and the evolving threat posed by increasingly capable
   nation-states, the Government on April 21 advised the University to
   suspend work on the "security fest" portion of the project." (ie. the
   OpenBSD c2k3 hackathon)
   -- Jan Walker, (703) 696-2404, jwalker at darpa.mil

Cheers,

Viktor