spurious characters in cvs-all subject

Andrew Boothman andrew at cream.org
Sun Mar 30 19:15:52 PST 2003

Dan Langille wrote:

>>>Anyone else notice the spurious characters in the subject of at
>>>least a couple of commits today (around 13:35:20 PST)? They appear
>>>to have stopped. -- Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
>>>

>>What did they look like?
>>

>A square box after right after "cvs commit:".  I saw it in this
>message:
>
>http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=130598+0+current/cvs-all

I noticed them too viewing my mail in Mozilla 1.3b in several commit
messages on cvs-all. They seem to be the standard character that Mozilla
uses when it doesn't know how to render a character as they turn up in
large quantites in 90% of the spam I get.....

I have no idea why they would be appearing where they are. They appeared
in Martin Blapp's two commits to editors/openoffice-devel and Akinori
Musha's commit to convert/ruby-lv.

Andrew