Dillon controversial again

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Mar 28 09:38:46 PST 2003

    Phaw.  Who cares about content, only the title of the movie matters
    and you have to admit, "City Of Ghosts" is a *great* title!  Do you
    see the cats and dogs that were eaten in the restaurant scene
    complaining?  No.  The monkeys in the zoo scene?  They were behind bars!
    No.  We gave them LOTS of extra bananas and they were happy campers.
    But you just can't please some humans.  It's those ridiculously large
    brains they have, especially the woman.  They always think something is
    going on when the actual conspiracy is something else entirely.  Sheesh!

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon at backplane.com>

:Matt, it looks like you're the hot topic again.  According to imdb's Movie
:and TV News:
:
:---
:Anger Over Dillon Film
:
:
:Hollywood hunk Matt Dillon's directorial debut City Of Ghosts has caused
:anger amongst Asians - because of its portrayal of Cambodian women.
:Arizona State University Professor Melinda De Jess says, "We thought it
:was very racist and problematic. Cambodia is a backdrop here for a story
:of white masculinity. There are almost no other representations of
:Cambodian women except as prostitutes in this film." Drugstore Cowboy star
:Dillon wrote and directed the movie, and also plays a con-man who travels
:to Cambodia to collect a share of an insurance scam. The professor
:confronted Dillon at a question-and-answer session following the film, and
:says, "He completely freaked out. He called me a 'paratrooper of political
:correctness.' He kept yelling, 'This is the truth about Cambodians!'"
:Dillon counters, "They saw the film and said they didn't like the way the
:women were portrayed - the characters who were prostitutes. They offered
:me some books to read. Women's studies or something. I think they were
:being a little too politically correct."
:---
:
:Tsk tsk tsk... :)