Advice on how to straighten out a crappy ISP

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 17 21:09:11 PDT 2003

If memory serves me right, Bill Moran wrote:
> My ISP is Adelphia Cable Internet.
>
> Their tech folks are incompetent, and their tech support is useless.
>
> Their mail servers are broken and therefore any mail to @freebsd.org
> bounces.  If you look at my headers, you'll see that I configured my
> box to be its own mail relay and I'm able to send to the FreeBSD lists
> (yippie!).
>
> However, it's still a DHCP addy and there's no way of hiding that.
> Thus, my emails are getting rejected by a lot of other people ...
> most recently, I'm finding that RoadRunner's entire SMTP system
> rejects me.
>
> I am NOT paying for a static IP.  I don't need it, I have no need
> or desire to run any servers on this box - I wouldn't even bother
> to run my own mail relay if Adelphia would fix theirs so I could
> use it.
>
> When I try to talk to them, I get anything from "reinstall Windows"
> to flat-out ignored.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can get them to fix their
> worthless shit?  I've tried being nice.  I've tried being an asshole.
> I have nothing to threaten with, as there are no other high-speed
> providers in this area.

Interesting.  This sounds very much like the past two days of my life
(perhaps longer), except I'm on Comcast (formerly AT&T Broadband
Internet).  They had the DNS records for their outbound mail relays
messed up such that the A and PTR records for any given relay machine
were not consistent.  This makes sending to the FreeBSD.org machines
problematic.  I have been having various problems with ATTBI's outbound
mail relays off-and-on for over a year.

When postmaster at comcast.net bounced a note I sent from my work machines
to inform them of this problem, that was the last straw for me.  I'm
actively working towards switching towards a DSL provider with some clue
(there's other issues involved as well that are outside the scope of
this email).

(To be honest, I didn't try working through Comcast's tech support, but
based on my experiences with TCI and AT&T Broadband Internet's tech
support, I don't think I was missing much.)

I'm glad to hear your situation worked out finally.

Bruce.