Tridents (was Re: FreeBSD Version Release numbers)

Viktor Lazlo viktorlazlo at telus.net
Fri Jun 13 16:03:53 PDT 2003

> There are actually two major variants of Latin people teach,
> as well, and neither one would let you talk to Seneca the Elder
> without him looking at you funny... but I digress.  8-) 8-).
>
> -- Terry

Say what? Classical Latin is Classical Latin, based on the literary
records of the period.  The only variants I know of are specific to user
groups such as Church Latin, medical Latin etc and are not part of any
curricula that I am aware of. Or are you talking about pronunciation
guides, which usually depend on locale (i.e.-"c" which was pronounced as
"k" before front vowels in Classical Latin is usually pronounced as "s" in
French and English speaking countries, "ts" in Germany, "ch" in Italy,
etc) although any Latin course worth it's tuition will insist on the
accepted Classical pronunciation.

Cheers,

Viktor