Looking for holes in the docs to fill in

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Jun 13 06:26:54 PDT 2003

Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 02:09:56PM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
>>One thing I feel is missing is a basic admin tutorial for newbies.  I mean,
>>the handbook covers installing and getting everything up and running, but
>>once you're there you're lost.  A lot of Linux folks seem to get lost
>>(for example) figuring out how to get Apache to start automatically after
>>it's installed.  I'm guessing an explanation in the ports section of the
>>handbook would help, what do others think?
>
> That's done by the port, isn't it?

Most ports these days install a sample script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d (although
this doesn't seem to be 100% consistent)  The apache.sh.sample must be
renamed before it'll do anything at boot.

If you're new to FreeBSD, this can be annoying and the documentation on how
to handle this doesn't seem to jump out from anywhere.  The ports section of
the handbook doesn't mention it.  I've got an update to the handbook I'm going
to submit some time today that I think will improve this.  I've heard of lots
of people putting 'apachectl start' in their rc.conf file because they couldn't
figure out the proper way to do this.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies