More trivia: origin of the wheel group

Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net
Sat Dec 20 18:26:07 PST 2003

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Bill Moran wrote:

> Does anyone know why the wheel group is called "wheel"?  I mean, why not
> "admins" or something like that.  "wheel" certainly is a cryptic name for
> the administrators group.  Anyone have any idea why it's called "wheel"?

The guy who wrote the group functionality was both a buddhist and a
Journey fan.  He was listening to "Wheel in the Sky" while trying to
figure out a way to give more people administrative rights without giving
too much access.  In a fit of enlightment, he came up with a special group
for administrators.  Since they were the ones who kept things turning, it
only seemed appropriate that "wheel" be immortalized in the /etc/group
file.

True story!

Later,
Jason C. Wells