A bit of trivia: what does usr stand for?

Gary W. Swearingen underway at comcast.net
Sat Dec 20 17:03:52 PST 2003

Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> writes:

> The urban myth is believeable, though, since it seems silly to abbreviate
> "user" with "usr" ... I mean, you're only saving 1 letter.

Most programmers back then didn't think it was at all silly.  In
addition to the already-mentioned teletype, some of us had to program
on punch cards (eg, my college) and via 110 baud terminals (eg, my
first job).  Not only typing was slow; correcting typing errors with
the primative "line editors" was even slower, and the less you had to
type, the fewer errors you had to correct.  Abbreviations were
rampant, with "unnecessary" syllables and vowels being dropped
whenever feasible.  That "usr" might have been a victim of habit, or,
more likely, the high frequency of typing it was considered.