Memory advice

Alex Zepeda zipzippy at sonic.net
Thu Dec 18 01:29:14 PST 2003

(I'm not subscribed to the list, so if any responses could be CC'd
directly to me, that'd be great).

I've got two machines that I'd like to add more RAM to.  The first is an
Apple Beige G3 (266mhz Rev 1 minitower), the second is a PC with a
SuperMicro P6DGE board (with a single P2-450 in the second CPU slot).

The PC had an old Micron branded PC100 DIMM (128MB) and the Mac came with
a Hyundai branded 32MB DIMM (presumably 66MHZ), but I had switched them
out so that the Mac had more RAM since it runs all of my server stuff (if
only I could ditch NetBSD.. alas no old world support for FreeBSD)... and
FreeBSD on the desktop works pretty well with 32mb RAM :))

I bought some cheapie PC133 RAM (Buffalo Tech) which would not work at all
in the PC, and it was such a poor fit I didn't even bother trying it in
the Mac.

Next I bought some more PC133 RAM from Crucial.  Same deal, with the PC133
sticks installed the PC will not boot (the BIOS diagnostic stuff hangs at
'Checking NVRAM').  So I stuck it in the Mac... and the Mac only sees 64MB
per DIMM.

So...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might actually work in on the
SuperMicro board?

Any ideas on what to look for in a fully Mac compatible DIMM?

So far no response from Micron/Crucial. :(

- alex