Good uses for spam

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Dec 17 15:12:46 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 04:38:41PM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> Kevin Golding <kevin at caomhin.demon.co.uk> writes:
> > <http://www.spamcop.net/> will both report the spam and use it for
> > building blacklists etc. if you forward it to them.
>
> Nice.  Have you every tried forwarding some of their own spam to them?
> How did they react?

spamcop has a FAQ about spam that allegedly originates from their
servers.  As usual, it's forged headers.

OTOH, I stopped using spamcop a while ago because of the shady
business deals the owner made (and never adequately justified) with
cyveillance.com, a known net abuser and all-round suspicious company.

I'm just not thrilled to have all my reported emails forwarded on to a
dodgy company that uses them to conduct "market research" and sells
unspecified derived information to customers.

Kris