Hardware vendor for Mini-ITX?

George Georgalis georgw at galis.org
Tue Dec 9 19:51:39 PST 2003

Hey Francisco, (remember nyc freebsd)

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 06:33:11PM -0500, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>On a previous thread in the questions list got suggestions for different
>mini-itx machines I could get to work with FreeBSD. So far have found few vendors
>in the US that have these. http://mini-itx.com is a great site, but sent
>them a question days ago and got no answer. I feel that if pre-sales
>questions are not answer tech support emails will do just as bad...

I know what you mean, I sent VIA a question about cases and got
no response.  To their credit, they probably get too many general
questions, and have commercial issues preventing them from recommending
3rd party case manufactures.

That said, I've been really happy with their boards in kiosk (custom)
deployment. They work just like i386 (PIII I think), via audio/IDE, and
the cvs xfree86 supports the special mpeg video.

I would like to find a good case to run them at a colo, the cl10000
seems designed for that, with 2 eth ports. Of the tons of cases
available they are mainly for home use though.

So DOES anybody have a recommendation for a colo case?

Below is my message to VIA.

// George

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 04:59:14PM -0800, JoyY Li wrote:

>> "runs about 5-10 degrees Celsius cooler than the same CPU incorporated
>> into the M10000".
>> http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/cl10000
>> <http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/cl10000>
>Joy Li
>Add: 940 Mission Court, Fremont, CA 94539
>Phone: 510-687-4636; Cell: 510-676-3424
>Fax: 510-687-4699 Web: http://www.viavpsd.com <http://www.viavpsd.com>
>When you want what you've never had,
>you must learn to do what you've never done

Hi,

looks good but I've not been able to find a suitable case.

small is good, but my main need is a box that:
        1) has room for 2 full size ATA drives
        2) will allow for quick drive replacement (in raid mirror setup)
        3) internal powersupply (accepts 120v at case)
        4) will survive at continuous 80 degrees F ambient (desirable)
any other features for a co-location facility welcome!

I have some experience with mini-itx, and I like them; but building a
case, or shopping the many cases on the internet really cuts into the
value, as far as my boss is concerned.

Thanks!

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027    <IXOYE><
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george at galis.org
Multimedia, DB, DNS and Metrics.       http://www.galis.org/george