FreshPorts fraud

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Fri Dec 5 10:09:35 PST 2003

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Dan Langille wrote:

> On a similar note, I just found today, by accident, defcon1.org is
> also stealing my content.  Compare this:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-
> 8&q=%22correct+way+to+stop+httpd+is%22&btnG=Google+Search
>
> I have just emailed defconf.org to request removal.  This is not the
> first time I've had to do this.

Over the past three or four years, I have various different websites
republish my content without my permission. Some with my by-line and some
without any attribution. When asked, they have politely removed my
content. Sometimes, I wonder if some website makers (I don't use the term
"editor") don't understand about reusing content.

Another thing that is strange, is that an online media company that I
worked for a couple years ago, put my by-line on a variety of articles
that I never even wrote (or knew nothing about until a couple months ago).
I think it may have accidently been done when they migrated some websites
(and maybe when the article was missing a by-line it used the previous one
since they forgot to blank it out).

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/