FreshPorts fraud

Dag-ErlingSmørgrav des at des.no
Fri Dec 5 07:26:56 PST 2003

Ceri Davies <setantae at submonkey.net> writes:
> To their credit, absolutely nothing, as far as I'm concerned.  This is
> an outright abuse, and if I were you I'd lodge a complaint with ICANN to
> get the domain transferred to you.

The side has been taken down, so it's hard to prove any wrong-doing.
If the perps decide to fight the charges, it'll be Dan's word against
theirs.  The fact that Dan has had freshports.org for two and a half
years while freshports.net was only registered two weeks ago would
certainly help Dan's case, but I'm not sure that it would be enough.
The complaints also cost money.

A fraud suit backed with evidence from from PayPal might work, except
the perps are in Sweden, so the cost of litigation would be truly
horrendous, and it might turn out to be nearly impossible for a
Swedish court to subpoena evidence from PayPal.

The only practical recourse is for people who have actually donated
money to file a complaint with PayPal.  From what I've heard, PayPal
generally (and summarily) sides with the donor in cases like this.
That policy can spell real trouble for the recipient if the complaints
are false, but in this case it works to Dan's advantage.  Donors would
get their money back, and the perps would lose their PayPal account,
but not much else would happen.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no