misc/132718: Information about adding a new mirror is outdated /
me at kevinmccarthy.org
Mon Mar 16 21:50:02 PDT 2009
>Synopsis: Information about adding a new mirror is outdated / nonfunctional
>Arrival-Date: Tue Mar 17 04:50:01 UTC 2009
>Originator: Kevin McCarthy
Hawaii Open Source Foundation
The FreeBSD handbook section 5.2 - "How to become official then?" states the following:
1. Create a new FreeBSD mirror
2. Read the documentation on http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/hubs/mirror-official.html
3. Follow the instructions. Observe lack of response.
>If everything works so far, contact the DNS administrator responsible for your region/country, and ask
>for a DNS entry for your site. The admin should able to be contacted via <hostmaster at CC.FreeBSD.org>,
>where CC is your country code/TLD. Your DNS entry will be as described in Section 4.1.
>If there is no subdomain set up for your country yet, you should contact <mirror-admin at FreeBSD.org>,
>or you can try the FreeBSD mirror sites mailing lists first.
>Whoever helps you get an official name should send email to <mirror-admin at FreeBSD.org> so your site
>will be added to the mirror list in the FreeBSD Handbook.
I have created a new mirror and have attempted to go through this process. The following are the email addresses I have tried to get my new mirror added:
1. mirror-admin at US.FreeBSD.org
2. mirror-admin at FreeBSD.org
3. hubs at FreeBSD.org
4. hostmaster at FreeBSD.org - the following was returned as a bounce:
>This is a canned auto-reply to your recent email to hostmaster at freebsd.org.
>Your message has NOT been read by a human. If you need human
>assistance, use the following @freebsd.org addresses:
>questions@ (problems finding, downloading or installing freebsd)
>ftpadm@ (regarding the contents of the ftp mirrors - corrupt files etc)
>hubs@ (dealing with mirrors, corrupt files on mirrors, etc)
>dnsadm@ (specific dns zone change instructions)
>ftp-master@ (access to ftp-master.*.freebsd.org)
I then attempted the following email addresses:
5. hubs at FreeBSD.org
6. dnsadm at FreeBSD.org
None of these emails were answered at all. I also sent an email to
7. freebsd-hubs at FreeBSD.org (mailing list), which did get a response from another member of the list recommending I read the FreeBSD handbook procedure. I explained my previous attempts but didn't get any responses.
Also I tried the IRC channel a few times. What is the correct procedure for getting a new mirror added? This process is too difficult and will discourage bandwidth donators.
More information about the freebsd-bugs