misc/121953: (workaround) openoffice.org-2.3.1 hangs with Glib
dmk at ncf.ca
Sat Mar 22 05:00:04 UTC 2008
>Synopsis: (workaround) openoffice.org-2.3.1 hangs with Glib errors
>Arrival-Date: Sat Mar 22 05:00:03 UTC 2008
>Originator: Dwayne MacKinnon
>Release: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE
FreeBSD chiron.lan 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #2: Tue Mar 4 10:35:40 EST 2008 root at chiron.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CHIRON i386
I recently set up my FreeBSD machine with multiple user accounts for the first time to accomodate some house guests. When I did so, I discovered that openoffice.org-2.3.1 would hang when it attempted to open a document of any kind. Running it from the console produced these glib errors:
(process:82983): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2242: initialization assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function
(process:82983): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value != 0' failed
(process:82983): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed
This occured for my new users only; my own account was unaffected, So, I attempted to track down the problem. I soon discovered that it was my .openoffice.org-2 directory with its config information that was the key.
I tracked the problem down to .openoffice.org2/user/config/soffice.cfg/modules directory.
In my original account, there were subdirectories for scalc and swriter as well as the StartModule directory. In the new account, neither of those subdirectories (scalc or swriter) existed.
Copying either directory to .openoffice.org2/user/config/soffice.cfg/modules solved the problem.
Install openoffice.org-2.3.1. In a new user account, open the program, and after filling out the initial information, try to open a document.
I only have the workaround I mentioned above; I will be happy to provide the contents of either directory if people believe it would be useful.
More information about the freebsd-bugs