status?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 4 22:35:40 UTC 2007

On 2007-02-26 16:38, Volker <volker at vwsoft.com> wrote:
> Remko & list,
> I would love to do more work for the project. I'm not a kernel hacker
> but a programmer with 20 years experience under different OSes.
> I might be able to spent some hours of my time to the project and I'm
> always willing to learn more and enhance my skills. Working on
> troubleshooting might not be a bad idea for me.

Excellent.  The FreeBSD project doesn't need *only* kernel hackers.

We also need people who monitor incoming PR tickers, people who work on
manpages, people who search the web for news items and inform us of new
FreeBSD press coverage, people who are willing to test and reproduce
possible bugs, people who write articles to magazines, journals, and
other media, etc.

Please do not let the fact that you do not consider yourself a kernel
hacker keep you from contributing in any way you find reasonable :-)

> If you want help of non core members, please let me (and probably
> others who are reading here) know how to help.

There are many ways.  In the context of this mailing list, the most
important way to contribute is to go through the list of open PR
tickets, then find something that you think you can handle, and finally
just go ahead and handle it.

We have some guidelines for effectively handling bug reports:

  http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pr-guidelines/

It may be worth reading this article, if you haven't done so already.

When you have done this, you can start 'attacking' open PR tickets by
going through the list of open tickets :)