Installation of 6.2 beta 2 fails

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Oct 16 13:09:39 PDT 2006

I booted CD1, chose to clobber my working Linux system (use entire
disk), chose a custom software selection (including pretty much all the
source, I have 80 Gb to fill) and let 'er rip.

Right now it's complaining, "Unable to get packages/INDEX from selected
media." and goes on with a highly improbable explanation that the
packages might not be on the selected media, and that I should fix it.

It's a terrible abuse of English, that.

Now surely you folk haven't put together _that_ brummy a CD 1. Besides,
it does seem to have installed lots, and things like csh are in place.

There aren't any kernel messages (from dmesg) to suggest reading the CD
was difficult.

But then again, pkg_info says there aren't any packages; I really don't
know enough about FreeBSD to tell what's wrong.

The current position is that the installer says my CD is borked, but it
won't let it out so I can replace it. The only way I can see to go
forward is to reboot and try something else*

What I think should happen at this point is that the installer should
allow me to back up and choose a different install medium, whether
another CD (I mean, crook CDs aren't unknown, even if this one's okay)
or a different network source.

I don't believe it would help me in this instance, but I'd sure feel
better knowing I could try something else.

ps, it may well be that that image thingie is illegal as it could be
held to discriminate unfairly against the blind. I think a little
javascript that produces, say, bugbuster+$(date +%Y%U)@freebsd.org would
give you a suitable means of filtering out the spam. I think I could
devise a procmail rule to do it. Or you could put the date part into the
domain name, with only two or three resolving at any time.

* The computer's sitting there waiting for me to think of something.
Fortunately, I have others (too many according to my wife!).