Can ubt0 be a slave or a passive listener, and not a master?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Tue Sep 10 20:41:57 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 12:50, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> Hmm... Is there a way to make it 'discoverable'? Anything in user interface?

This device has absolutely no buttons. Also camera has no such switch
"GPS on". When cable is plugged in, it is supposed to be on. Very simple.

> Sometimes devices use a special trick where device class bits can be
> used to provide information about services. This way remote device can
> learn about services without performing a full blown sdp discovery. So
> you might want to try and play with it.

This is maybe what it is doing. Maybe it performs discovery itself,
looks at some flags, and keeps silent because it didn't find the right
flags ... But it isn't clear how to know which flags are those.

>> >This company said it would connect to BlueTooth slave with the passcode "0000".
> Can you please tell me what device is this? Make and model?

Yes, this device is AK-4NIII by the company called Aokatec. Camera is
Nikon D300.
Their official description lists a bunch of GPS devices as compatible. I
don't have any of this list.

When I confronted the manufacturer about the Android connectivity, they
said they officially don't support Android "because Android is always a
bluetooth master", and they are also a master looking for a slave. Their
statement isn't correct, because there are few android apps that work as
GPS slave and this is entirely possible. They also said that their
master looks for slave with passcodee="0000"

I also confronted Android App maker "Bluetooth GPS". They said they know
about Aokatec device incompatibility, but they have no clue as of the
reasons.

Yuri