Can ubt0 be a slave or a passive listener, and not a master?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Mon Sep 9 20:50:20 UTC 2013

On 09/09/2013 10:59, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> the lowest communication interface between host and device is HCI.
> there are HCI commands, HCI responses and HCI events. as far as
> discovery (inquiry) goes, one device initiates discovery (inquiry) in
> response to HCI command received from its host. the device responds
> (back to its host) with zero or more HCI events with information about
> other devices in RF proximity, followed by HCI response to indicate
> completion of discovery (inquiry). near by devices that are being
> discovered do not send anything back to their hosts.
>
> i hope that helps

So what you are saying is that there is no link-level sniffing using
this kind of configuration. And the only thing I can see with hcidump
are HCI commands coming back and forth between the host (BSD in this
case) and device (dongle). Nothing like "promiscuous" mode for network
interfaces. In other words, dongle does processing and only shows higher
level information and not the link level packets.

My original motivation for this is that I have a camera GPS device
(master) and Android App that is supposed to work as a slave. But this
link doesn't work at all for some reason. I was hoping to use BSD to
troubleshoot. But it looks like this wasn't a realistic expectation.

Thank you for this information,
Yuri