3G modem / 3G phone tethering

Ronald Klop ronald-freebsd8 at klop.yi.org
Sat Apr 16 13:14:49 UTC 2011

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 02:56:37 +0200, Любомир Григоров <nm.knife at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Has anyone had success with a 3G modem OR with tethering 3G over
> bluetooth,
> particularly on Symbian S60, Android?
>
> The research I found was from 2009 and some from 2010, all unclear. If
> bluetooth is not possible, would USB tethering work?
>
> I am mostly interested in success stories rather than concept ideas.
>
> Cheers.

Yes, it worked with bluetooth on a sony/ericsson K800i like 4 or 5 years
ago. And with bluetooth on a Nokia E65 (Symbian) about 2 years ago. Never
tried it with the Samsung galaxy S (Android) now, because it tethers over
wifi very well.
You can use ppp over the 'bluetooth-modem' device. You might need to now a
special number to dial to open a data link. For my provider I had to dial
#99* or something like that. Took me 2 days to discover. :-)

Success,

Ronald.