ports using sdp when mpeg4ip is installed

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Wed Feb 18 06:29:50 PST 2009

Hello,

I maintain a few ports, between those there are gnokii and the ports
package for obexapp, written by Maksim.

I already had to deal with the problem in the subject some time ago
(PR ports/108428) and now that gnokii has sdp support PR ports/131778
has correctly been filed.

As exlained in the PRs the problem is mpeg4ip is installing an sdp.h
file and an libsdp.so library in /usr/local/(include|lib), which
are preferred by the ports systems(especially the autotools) on the
system ones breaking software build.

The solution is doing jumps through hoops to make autotools and
other pieces behave, hardcoding base system paths or the like. I
could not find better ways. Whth gnokii right now I'm having big
problems making libtool behave. I could try patching the system
wide one to manage this situation, but I don't really understand
it's internals, if anyone could point me in the right direction
here that would be very appreciated.

We could just fix the includes problem by moving one of the two
sdp.h files in a subdirectory of include, but the libraries problem
would remain.

How should I act? Doing the hoop jumping is not a big problem to me, but in
the future with more programs taking advantage of bluetooth/sdp
functionality this problem will be even more frequent, and I don't think
fixing every single case by hand to be a good solution.

Could we try to find a system or ports wide solution?

Sorry for the lenghty email, but I wanted to explain the situation
fully.

BTW should I also send a resume of this email to gnats for historic
purposes?

Thanks in advance for any help, opinions, revision or also confort on
this.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>