libhci

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 10:01:05 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 6:46 AM, Iain Hibbert <plunky at rya-online.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
>
>> int hci_inquiry(...)
>>
>> and all the way down to the end of the file :) basically map dev_id to
>> unit numbers, i.e. dev_id 0 is "ubt0" node, etc.
>
> Well, I really dislike that dev_id method to start with. But anyway, I
> think they are working on a new API that is somewhat higher level and more
> related to the dbus access.

of course they are :) its linux :) they always working on something
new and improved :)

anyway, what would you suggest to use instead of dev_id? device name
(i.e. ubt0)? anything else? cant use bd_addr because (in freebsd at
least) device has to be "initialized" before bd_addr is known.

> Also, I think that looking at that code, it was written in the beginning
> and is full of 'good ideas' that somebody might want to use, but in
> reality much of it has no need to be in a shared library.
>
> hci_inquiry() is perhaps the only function that really needs to have a
> generic cross platform API and it would be nice if it was oriented towards
> application level rather than tied to a lower layer implementation.  I do
> not know what kind of API the Microsoft (Widcom?) or Apple stacks expose
> to applications for this, but I suspect they would be a better place to
> start.

i will take a look at ms api. but surely we have ability to send and
receive hci commands/events and enumerate all radios in the system in
addition to inquiry, dont you think?

thanks,
max