pan profile support in freebsd

Iain Hibbert plunky at rya-online.net
Wed Feb 4 11:32:06 PST 2009

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Alexander Motin wrote:

> Iain Hibbert wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Alexander Motin wrote:
> >
> > > One more minor fact. Unlike rfcomm_pppd I haven't found an option to run
> > > btpand in foreground to track connection status.
> >
> > what would you like to accomplish?
>
> For example, to initiate reconnect on connection failure. Sure it can be done
> in many other ways, but running in foreground seems to be usual practice for
> many places, like ppp.
>
> > I made some effort for it to not detach until the setup is complete, but
> > it kind of needs to then in order for 'connection up' activities to
> > commence (eg proceeding to run dhclient)..  at least on my machine I have
> > logging turned up and do get some shutdown messages on the console when it
> > detaches.
>
> I think dhclient, for example, could be run via devd when interface comes up,
> alike to normal Ethernet. Not sure TAP supports devd not, but I think it could
> be fixed.

One thing that I have in mind is to make btpand shutdown the tap interface
when exiting (as it marks it up when starting). Would that make it
possible to use devd to trigger a reconnect if desired?  I think its
better to have a "event->action" model rather than hang it all together
with scripts.

iain