pan profile support in freebsd

Alexander Motin mav at mavhome.dp.ua
Tue Feb 3 17:13:12 PST 2009

Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
>> The only newbie problem I had is what to specify in -d argument. NetBSD
>> examples specifying adapter name there, while FreeBSD does not accepts this.
>> I have spent some time looking for my adapter BDADDR.
>
> well, it kinda does. you can edit /etc/bluetooth/hosts file and add
> your adapter's bd_addr there, i.e.
>
> 00:11:22:33:44:55 mydevice
>
> and then use -d mydevice with btpand(8).

I have done exactly the same, it just was not intuitive and differs from
NetBSD as I understood it. It was probably the first time when I needed
to know my adapter BDADDR.

>> PS: I have one small indirectly related, annoying problem. After some time
>> of being unused Qtek goes to some kind of sleep, which makes it not
>> responding on BT requests (both rfcomm and btpand), reporting "No route to
>> host". After several retries or just by running l2ping and waiting for 3-5
>> seconds it successfully wakes up and working, but it makes using it a bit
>> annoying. Is there any known workaround for it?
>
> it depends. i'm guessing qtek device is probably putting idle
> connection into 'sniff' or 'hold' (or even 'park') mode to conserve
> battery life. you should be able to see what is going by running
> hcidump. in any case, it should be possible to add something that
> 'tickles' connection once in a short while to prevent it from going
> completely idle. it will drain the battery faster though.

It does not happens when connection is alive, only when connection
establishes. So may be there some kind of timeout can be tuned, or
device can be forcefully woken up in some other way?

One more minor fact. Unlike rfcomm_pppd I haven't found an option to run
btpand in foreground to track connection status.

--
Alexander Motin