bt dev questions

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 10:40:39 PDT 2008

Alex,

>  1) Why sdpd require root permission to open session? As for me it`s enough
> to check use file permissions on control socket. In Linux its possible to
> register service w/o root permissions, so in ported version I need to run it
> as root and then setuid to normal user.  What is the reason for this?

to have better control over what services are offered. basically, i do
not want to have any random application go and register bunch of
non-existent services. requiring 'root' permission is may be a little
bit excessive, but its easy to fix. could teach sdpd to accept
connections from specified group (or even list of groups/users).

>  2) I was not able to find how to change provider name and server
> description in SDP_SERVICE_CLASS_SERIAL_PORT profile. anyRemote using usual
> serial over bluetooth, but with changed service name field. I found howto
> change channel (server_channel) but not description. Is it possible at all?

not at this time.

>  I`m planning to submit my patches to the ports tree at nearest time.

thanks for your work.

thanks,
max