Fun with Logitech bluetooth keyboard (diNovo Edge)...

Rui Paulo rpaulo at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 8 22:21:26 UTC 2008

Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Alexander Leidinger
> <Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:
>> Quoting "Maksim Yevmenkin" <maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com> (Wed, 7 May 2008 13:05:02 -0700):

>>> well, someone already ported hid2hci.
>>>
>>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bluetooth/2007-July/000989.html
>>>
>>> is a good starting point. i do not think that using sysctl is good
>> It doesn't make sense to have something like this in the base system?
>
> yes, it does. however, one should be careful. original tool is under
> gpl. there is a lot of code that looks very similar (if not identical)
> to gpl version. also, at least for csr chips, the utility contain some
> information about csr chips that they may or may not want be released.
> i realize that this information is already public (due to gpl tool)
> but you never know...  i think port would be better solution for now.

Then that's a problem for me because I wrote the utility. IANAL, but I
don't think there's a problem here, because:
* The utility I wrote reads a file with matching USB IDs. The original
one has a list hardcoded into the program
* I don't use libusb, I call ioctl()'s specific to the BSD USB stack
* I didn't copy any code.
* I don't think my program can be considered a derived work

There are several open source tools out there that are similar, but have
incompatible licenses. This is another case.

Also, the author of hid2hci reads this list. If he considered that I
have used code from his utility, he would probably have tried to
convince me to change it, or even a threat to sue. (I don't know him,
I'm just saying out loud what could happen.)

Either way, I'm willing to do a port.

Thanks,
--
Rui Paulo