libbluetooth2 and Net::Bluetooth

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Dec 8 01:53:45 PST 2008

Hello,

I'm new to bluetooth (read: I know almost nothing about
it), so I have a few questions.

First, is there a recommended bluetooth USB dongle that's
guaranteed to work with FreeBSD (7-stable) and that's
not too expensive?  I've seen a lot of really cheap and
small dongles recently at online shops, but I assume not
all of them work fine, right?

Second, I would like to use this software (perl script):

http://lukas.internet-freaks.net/nxtmanager.php

(Sorry, the page is in German, but the .tar.gz download
at the bottom of the page contains an English README.)

As far as I can tell, the software requires libbluetooth2
and the CPAN module Net::Bluetooth.  I searched the ports,
but they're not there.  I assume those don't work with
FreeBSD, right?  Any idea whether porting them would be
feasible?

Best regards
   Oliver

(On the statement print "42 monkeys" + "1 snake":)  By the way,
both perl and Python get this wrong.  Perl gives 43 and Python
gives "42 monkeys1 snake", when the answer is clearly "41 monkeys
and 1 fat snake".        -- Jim Fulton