headset support

Jonathon Moldenhauer jonmoldenhauer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 19:27:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:49:09 -0700 "Maksim Yevmenkin" <maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jon,
>  >
>  > >  I have searched back through the archives here and there is discussion about
>  > >  FreeBSD and headset/handsfree profile support.  I have seen several comments
>  > >  that "the code is about the be committed" so I am wondering what the status
>  > >  really is.  If any help is needed I would be willing to test and/or work on
>  > >  code so that this feature can be brought to the FreeBSD platform.
>  >
>  > first of all what exactly do you need to support? do you have any
>  > specific usage scenario in mind? i have had code to support isoc
>  > transfers in ng_ubt(4) (a must to support bluetooth audio) and
>  > bluetooth sco sockets for quite a while. i was planning to commit it,
>  > but then i changed my mind. with the code i have, i can transfer raw
>  > audio data, but what to do with the raw data is the next big question.
>  > do we need to somehow plug into sound subsystem? something else?
>
>  Well, I'm not the OP, but I've been trying to free time to work on
>  this. So my answer is...
>
>  I want to use my FreeBSD box'es audio system as a BT headset. The
>  headset protocol should do the trick, but handsfree might be fun to
>  play with. The BT code doesn't need to hook into the sound system, but
>  the UI will need to let the user pick audio devices to hook to the
>  streams from BT.
>
>  Another - less firm - thing would be playing "BT audio
>  switchbox". Simple devices can only pair with one other device,
>  including some I'd like to be able to use it with more than one
>  device.  Having a box that could pair with all of those and route
>  audio between them might be useful. But that's just brainstorming.
>
>       Thanks,
>       <mike

Ok,

So we know that there are people interested in getting BT SCO
transfers working and that myself and Mike (above) both think that it
would be sufficient to get them working to userland so that they can
then either be routed to the audio system by userland programs or
handled in other ways.

I think if Maksim has code that works through a socket method to
deliver/receive the bt sco data to/from userland that just getting it
into the source tree is all that will be needed for others to develop
the applications to do useful things with that data.

What do we need to do to either test the code out or get it comitted?
I think this is a really important feature that FreeBSD needs to
support for completeness of the bluetooth spec!

If help is needed to test, debug, and/or write code, let me know!

Thanks!

Jonathon Moldenhauer