Logitech V470 Bluetooth Mouse on FreeBSD ?

mato gamato at users.sf.net
Fri Apr 4 20:10:58 UTC 2008

Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> On 4/2/08, Iain Hibbert <plunky at rya-online.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, mato wrote:
>>
>>> Input   id=2 size=8 count=1 page=Generic_Desktop usage=Wheel Variable
>>> Input   id=2 size=8 count=1 page=Consumer usage=AC_Pan Variable Relative,
>>> What can be done about it ??
>>>
>> I don't know - bthidd(4) could grow the support for AC_Pan fairly easily
>>  but I don't know how you would get that into the kernel - the mouse_info
>>  structure has no W direction and the ioctl would need to be versioned if
>>  the structure was extended as there was no padding..
>>

> exactly Iain. parsing hid messages in bthidd(8) and extracting all the
> data is trivial. the question is how to feed those data into the
> kernel. right now, bthidd(8) uses console ioctl to feed data into the
> kernel. as you pointed out, mouse_info structure (specifically
> mouse_data union) does not have have w direction.
>

>>  btw just to make you feel better I should say that sideways scroll does
>>  not always work in applications; eg GThumb considers the extra buttons
>>  to be 'next' and 'prev' instead and sideways scroll just jumps to the next
>>  picture.
>>

> i have a wired usb apple mighty mouse here and horizontal scrolling
> does not work for me at all. quick look at ums(4) showed that it does
> not export w data (it tries to locate both wheel and z axis, however
> it does not look for ac_pan axis).
>
> so, it appears that we need to teach moused(8), sysmouse(4) and mice
> drivers about second wheel. it appears to be a somewhat bigger chunk
> of work.

The current situation seems to me not ideal and rather complicated.  You
said bthidd injects messages directly to kernel.  I don't know what the
consequences are but I noticed the following ... When I run moused my BT
mouse works in console (except double clicks etc.).  Unfortunately,
because I wanted extra functionality from my Synaptics touchpad I
installed x11-drivers/synaptics port which required disabling moused
which handled the touchpad as ps/2 mouse.  Now synaptics works great in
X11 but it doesn't work in console at all and my BT mouse doesn't work
in console either.  But if I plug in a USB mouse devd runs moused and
suddenly my BT mouse works in console too.  Funny but very inconvenient,
I can tell you.  Fortunately I don't work in console that much anymore.

With regards,

Martin