BT issues

Iain Hibbert plunky at rya-online.net
Thu Apr 3 12:11:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, mato wrote:

> However, Windows can manage this as it asks for PIN key when connection
> initiation fails.  While I don't expect FreeBSD asking for a PIN, it might be
> quite useful if it could automatically (upon a connection establishing
> failure) throw away its stored link key and recreate it from PIN as Windows
> does.

btw That would be the wrong thing to do. The stored link key is the
'password' for the remote BDADDR to connect to your services and it is
possible on many devices to change the bluetooth device address (BDADDR)

You don't want to make it so that a remote attacker can just cause a
'password' reset by pretending to be an authorised device, and this is the
reason PINs should not be permanently stored..

iain